Sunday, March 14, 2010

Not By Sight

"By Faith"
Keith & Kristyn Getty & Stuart Townsend
We will stand as children of the promise

We will fix our eyes on Him our soul's reward

Till the race is finished and the work is done

We'll walk by faith and not by sight


As I sang this hymn this morning in our worship service, I was overwhelmed with its truth. Though not of my choosing, but by God's will, Jody and I are getting ready to be 100% living by faith and not by sight. Many of you already know that Jody resigned from his position as Youth and Children's Minister at FBC Lebanon tonight. (read his blog here) We are definitely taking a big step into the unknown as our boat has been turned over, but we feel like Jesus is calling for us to walk on water, to do the "impossible".

I've mentioned previously that I'm a planner. I don't do anything without planning all the details and always having a safety net to catch me when I fall. Obviously this is not the case for us right now, and oddly enough I'm at peace with the situation. I'm not frantically trying to make changes, I'm just taking it one step at a time.

Philippians 4:6-7 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

We don't know where we're headed next, but I am confident that God has a plan for us even though we can't see it yet. The next months are going to be difficult, but they will also be filled with hope, anticipation, and lots of prayer. Every time we've been faced with adversity, God always has had something better for us that we would have never imagined... but it has never been in our timing. Just when I start to get comfortable, God rocks my world and reminds me to keep my focus on His plan.

It's been incredibly freeing to completely surrender this situation to Christ and give Him control rather than trying to fix everything on my own like I usually do. It's really easy to get caught up in the "what ifs": "what if the house doesn't sell?" "what if Jody can't find another job?" "what if ...?" But we're not called to worry, we're called to trust and obey, even if it means no safety net. As I've already mentioned this week, without the hard times, you aren't able to fully appreciate the blessings on the other side. How many blessings have I missed out on because I was too afraid to walk by faith and not by sight?

Matthew 6:25-34 - Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

These verse speak for themselves. We're taking it one day at a time and trusting in God for the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment