Thursday, April 1, 2010

Replace Me

"Replace Me"
by Family Force 5


Desperation

Needing You
Every last breath
I scream for you
Shatter me into a million pieces...Make me new

Crush me, tear me, break me, mold me
Make me what You want me to be
I am yours for You to use
So, Take and Replace me with You

This was one of the favorite songs the youth used to sing at South Clinton in our Ignite services. If you've ever heard this song, you'll know that it isn't exactly your typical church worship song. It's very loud, high energy, and even has some screaming! But if you read the lyrics, you'll soon realize that it has an awesome message.

As I was sitting in my car listening to this song on the way home the other day, I was struck with the truth of the lyrics. Am I so desperate for Christ to fill me that I scream for Him with every breath? Do I really long for Him to replace me with Him?

I've heard many sermons preached on how God is the potter and we are His clay, being molded into His likeness. However, most stop short of describing how intense of a process it really is. When a piece of clay hardens in the wrong shape, it is broken into pieces and reformed once again. "Crush me, tear me, break me, mold me." This is not a gentle movement, but a complete transformation. Change is difficult and often painful.

As I've said before, I'm a planner and I like to know what the future holds, but God's plans almost never seem to match what I have in mind. I get so focused on what will be happening sometimes that I forget to take things one day at a time. Rather than allowing God to gently mold me day by day, I start heading down my own path and the clay starts to dry so that He is forced to rock my world in drastic ways.

Jody and I officially begin our great adventure today as he starts looking for a job and we wait for our house to sell. We're not sure where we're headed but we know that God is faithful and that He will provide for our needs. We know that God has something great in store and that when we look back on this part of our lives, we'll be able to see His hand on everything that has happened. But that doesn't mean that it won't be difficult at times. Our responsibility is simply to trust God and allow Him to continue to replace us with Him so that He is all that is left.

John 3:30 - He must become greater; I must become less.

No comments:

Post a Comment