Monday, April 5, 2010

Hi! My Name is....

Today we moved everything out of Jody's office and turned in our keys to the church. It's an odd feeling to not know what's ahead for us, not knowing where we'll end up or even knowing what job he'll end up in. The possibilities are endless and now it's up to us to try to discern where God is leading us next. The thought is a little overwhelming at times, but also very freeing as we learn to trust God with every decision and see how much greater His plan is than our own.

Next week, for the first time since we were undergrads, we'll be visitors in a church. It will be an eye-opening experience for us to be able to see church life from a completely different perspective. Since both of us grew up in and have always been involved in relatively traditional Southern Baptist churches, we plan to see how some local churches are approaching ministry and sharing the gospel in new innovative ways.

As long-term church members, you often forget what it's like to be a visitor. I remember when I was beginning vet school and began looking for a church home in Knoxville. I'm not an overly outgoing person and hated the thought of walking in by myself to a huge church where nobody knew me. At the recommendation of a friend who used to live in the area, I visited one church. On my first Sunday there, I walked in by the Welcome Center and was immediately greeted by someone. That same person walked me through the HUGE building to my Sunday School room and introduced me to the teacher. The teacher then took the time to introduce me to several students, one of whom immediately started a conversation. She stayed with me the entire time and then took me up to the sanctuary and invited me to sit with the other college students. She even asked me to come back for Sunday evening services. I was completely impressed by her warm welcome. I knew then that I had found my church home. Since I was a college student, I was out of town quite frequently. I always knew that if I missed a Sunday, though, when I returned everyone would ask where I was. Even though I was just a visitor, I mattered to them and they wanted to get to know me.

Now we begin again as visitors and all of the questions begin to float through our heads. What should we wear? What will our kids do? Will they find some place where they are comfortable? Will we fit in? Will we be singled out as visitors? Will anyone remember us if we come back next week?

Just thinking about this makes me wonder why anyone who hasn't been to church before ever walks through the doors. I'm comfortable with church and I know what to expect but the idea of going somewhere new is intimidating for me. I can't imagine how difficult it has to be for unbelievers to go. This will definitely be a learning experience for us and it will be something to remember when we see visitors elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment